Host a Private Event or Educational Presentation at Ten Thousand Villages of Alexandria
Looking for a unique way to share memorable moments with family and friends, or give your class a boost? Would you like to inspire your youth group or treat your organization to a special event?
Let us take your group on a special tour of our store and give you a greater look inside Fair Trade and Ten Thousand Villages. Ten Thousand Villages – Alexandria will coordinate:
Private Shopping Nights
Student and Professional Group Presentations
Community Shopping Events to benefit local organizations in need We are happy to work with groups of all ages and sizes; in our store or at your location. Please stop by our store, or email us at email@example.com to start planning your special event.
Learn more about Fair Trade, the history of Ten Thousand Villages and about our talented artisan partners through an exciting presentation tailored to your group!
Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria
Title: Assistant Manager
Report to: Store Manager
Supervises: Staff, Volunteers
Full-Time Position: 32-40 hours/week
To create opportunities for artisans in developing countries to earn income by bringing their products and stories to our markets through long-term, fair trading relationships.
Ten Thousand Villages is a nonprofit, fair trade retailer that works with 120 artisan groups in over 30 developing countries. The Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria store has been in operation since 1994. We are staffed by 60 volunteers and have a strong commitment to fair trade education and programming.
This position is designed to directly partner with and provide support to the Store Manager, assisting in program management and daily operations. The Assistant Manager is someone who will inspire customers to invest in their world through fair trade purchases. The Assistant Manager will be committed to strengthening the store’s Outreach and Volunteer Programs; planning events; and meeting sales goals. This person will spend 50% of their time organizing off site and in store outreach events; 25% of their time training and re-training volunteers; and 25% of their time on the sales floor, working with customers and store floor operations. He/she must be results-driven and ever-willing to offer assistance to customers, staff, and volunteers on the sales floor.
- Offer courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service, following Ten Thousand Villages’ Selling Process, to support the expansion of sales and public persona of the store.
- Provide strong support to sales associates and volunteers on the store floor; including training, scheduling, planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Coordinate in store and off site outreach events.
- Collaborate with the store’s Speaker’s Bureau for outreach events.
- Support the maintenance and growth of the existing customer base.
- Record, track, and budget sales figures for data analysis and forward planning.
- Promote forthcoming customer initiatives such as sales, promotions, and events.
- Ensure that store operations follow the Ten Thousand Villages’ Brand Standards.
- Stay current with New Item Collections and general product knowledge.
- Assist in implementing systems to keep the store functioning efficiently.
- Stay up to date on fair trade developments related to Ten Thousand Villages.
- Open and close the store in compliance with established cash handling, accounting, and other procedures.
- Oversee general maintenance and cleaning of the store.
- Other projects as assigned.
- A strong understanding of the Ten Thousand Villages mission, and what our customer comes to us to find.
- Retail know-how, with hands-on experience managing all aspects of a store from the back room to the sales floor.
- Ability to communicate orally and in written form effectively with employees, board, volunteers, customers, community partners, and others.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm for the mission of Ten Thousand Villages.
- Event planning experience.
- Effective supervisory, training and delegation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and solve practical problems.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills.
- Ability to remain organized under deadlines, creatively handling last minute or unexpected changes.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
- Public speaking experience in a variety of settings.
- Flexible schedule that includes availability on some weekends and evenings. Vacation time is not allowed during the year-end holiday season.
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Retail Management or related field preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Applications.
- Ability to stand all day and to lift 40 pounds.
- Experience recruiting and training staff and volunteers a plus.
- Previous work in fair trade a plus.
Email cover letter, resume, three references, and salary requirements ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include Assistant Manager in your subject line. Attachments must be sent in Microsoft Word or pdf format.